Learning Analytics Manager
REPORTS TO: Chief of Learning Insights and Research
Connecting innovation and education to dramatically transform the way students learn, LEAP Innovations® leads the nation in developing and scaling personalized learning practices, technology and innovations in classrooms throughout the U.S. LEAP launched the country’s most comprehensive personalized learning framework, as well as the first survey tool to measure personalized learning practice in the classroom.
Sponsored by major foundations and donors, LEAP currently works with over 140 schools across the Chicagoland area, improving the lives of thousands of students. Winner of the 2016 Chicago Innovation Award for social innovation, LEAP Innovations is poised to increase reach and impact in the personalized learning space by deploying thought leadership, services and tools across the country.
The mission of LEAP Innovations is to transform education nationwide into a uniquely personal experience, designed to prepare, empower and inspire all learners to ignite their unlimited potential. LEAP operates at the intersection of educators and edtech innovators—researching and implementing personalized practices and tools.
LEAP is defining and articulating teacher practices that best meet individual student needs; determining school- and classroom-level models that best personalize learning; and constructing research methods and tools to best evaluate the impact of personalized learning and edtech programs on student achievement. Similarly, from the edtech side, LEAP aims to help edtech companies utilize its research and educator feedback to create tools that are more aligned with teacher and student needs.
LEAP has built a scaffold trajectory of programming to accomplish these goals, including the LEAP Pilot Network, in which school teams select, pilot and evaluate personalized learning technologies and practices within individual classrooms, as well as whole-school redesign programs, in which school teams design transformative, school-wide personalized learning models.
VISION FOR THE FUTURE
The team at LEAP envisions a future in which there are no boundaries to learning – a future in which each and every student’s learning experiences in and out of school create a seamless, unique pathway that is tailored to that student’s needs, strengths, interests and limitless ambitions.
Over the next five years, LEAP will work toward this vision in two key ways:
Regional Expansion: LEAP will strengthen its impact by expanding its local work, serving an additional 165,000 students at 325 schools and launching a plan to create a new personalized learning ecosystem that formally connects students to learning pathways in and out of school.
National Impact: Through its work in Chicago, home to the third largest school district in the country, LEAP will build the foundation of tools, resources and knowledge to scale its personalized learning work across the country. Our current tools include the LEAP Learning Framework, which defines and provides strategies for the implementation of personalized learning, and the LEAP Personalized Learning Surveys. These surveys measure the degree of personalization in learning environments and are used in approximately 400 schools, across 23 states. Additionally, LEAP will develop and scale new products and program services to drive teacher practice, school redesign and product efficacy in personalized learning across the country.
LEAP is seeking a mission-oriented learning analyst who can use a hypothesis-driven approach to develop insights and recommendations on LEAP’s programming. The Learning Analytics Manager will serve as the connective tissue between two teams, Learning Insights and Research and Programs, ensuring that the analyses and recommendations being created are highly actionable and relevant. This individual will be responsible for building an organization-wide analytics engine.
The Learning Analytics Manager will develop a plan to build LEAP’s base of insights. This will include quantifying the impact of LEAP’s products/services and identifying opportunities for program improvement. This multi-year plan should include near, medium, and long-term deliverables that are required for external audiences (e.g., funders, media requests). The Learning Analytics Manager will be responsible for facilitating discussions across the organization to define key research questions and hypotheses to test for each.
This individual will structure and conduct analyses, build final deliverables, and share findings with key stakeholders. Analyses will be conducted in conjunction with junior team members and external resources (e.g., consultants) that will be guided and coached by the Learning Analytics Manager.
Success in this role requires keen problem solving ability — someone who can work creatively to address issues that may arise and will be comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with imperfect data.
The Learning Analytics Manager will need to translate insights to specific actions or recommendations. These recommendations will need to be clearly communicated to internal and external stakeholders, including a sophisticated group of external advisors.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with both qualitative and quantitative educational data, especially data from school districts, education organizations and university partners.
- Build an analytics portfolio of near, medium, and long-term deliverables
- Secure and manage internal and external resources to deliver high quality insights
- Field an intake system to negotiate inbound requests effectively and on schedule
- Cultivate and maintain high-trust relationships with cross-functional team to facilitate discussions on the organization’s analytic priorities and develop well-informed hypotheses
- Conduct rigorous quantitative and qualitative analyses on LEAP’s programming and translate analysis to specific insights and recommendations
- Communicate analysis and findings with both internal and external audiences clearly
- Manage and develop a team with diverse skillsets. This will include supporting team to structure analyses, guidance with problem solving challenges, and regular review of deliverables
- Support collaboration across functional areas at LEAP and with external stakeholders
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- *Duties, responsibilities and work related activities may change at any time with or without advanced notice to support the organization’s growth trajectory.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment where expectations are high for quality and goal achievement within aggressive timeframes. He/she will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in education policy, public policy, education research, data science, economics, or related field
- Five (5) years’ work experience in learning analytics or related area
- Demonstrated experience working through imperfect data to develop actionable insights and recommendations
- Demonstrated comfort working with qualitative and quantitative data
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for education as demonstrated through academic study, volunteerism, or work in public sector roles
- Commitment to LEAP’s mission
- Masters in Business Administration or Learning Sciences
- Three (3) year’s work experience in education consulting
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Excellent health benefits, 403(b) plan, group life insurance and generous PTO.
Start Date: Position available currently.
Application: Phone inquiries are not accepted. Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Please include the position name in the subject line of your email.